BOONE, N.C. - Appalachian State women's basketball will play its first home game in the Holmes Center since Nov. 26 on Saturday when they host Samford at 2 p.m.
The Mountaineers (4-9, 1-2 SoCon) will host the Bulldogs (3-12, 1-3) on Saturday after notching their first conference win of the season last week against Wofford. Samford comes off a close loss to SoCon foe Georgia Southern this past Monday.
App vs. SU
• The Mountaineers are set to play Samford on Saturday, after starting conference play 1-2 this season.
• This will mark the 14th meeting between the Mountaineers and Bulldogs.
• Samford currently holds an 8-5 all time record over the Mountaineers.
• The all time record is the same record under head coach Darcie Vincent, as Samford joined the Southern Conference during the 2008-09 season.
• The Bulldogs have won the past three meetings between the teams, with the first of those wins coming in the 2011-12 SoCon Championship game.
• In their last meeting, Samford hit a buzzer-beater to win the game, 63-60 at the Holmes Center.
• 2013-14 returner Maryah Sydnor had 16 points and six rebounds in the loss.
All About the Apps
Appalachian State • 4-9, 1-2
• The Mountaineers will play Samford after taking the game against Wofford on Jan. 6 with a score of 63-43.
• Sydnor led the team in the win, recording 21 points and 10 rebounds for her seventh double-double of the season.
• Joi Jones had 10 points and dished out five assists in the win for the Apps.
• KeKe Cooper tallied eight points and four blocks, while grabbing 13 rebounds on the game.
• Sydnor continues to lead the SoCon in scoring, averaging 19.9 points per game.
• Sydnor is also ranked first in free throw percentage with a percentage of 86.9 this season.
• Cooper holds the top spot in the conference in field goal percentage with a mark of 59.0.
• Cooper also ranks first in the SoCon in blocked shots with an average of 2.4 per game.
• Appalachian State currently ranks first in the Southern Conference in rebounding margin (+4.5) and steals (8.9).
• The Mountaineers are shooting 41.1 percent from the floor this season while opponents have shot 40.8 percent.
Samford • 3-12, 1-3
• The Bulldogs will match up against Appalachian on Saturday after beginning SoCon play 1-3.
• Samford lost to Georgia Southern on Monday in a close 64-61 game.
• Freshman Hannah Nichols led the Bulldogs in the loss, recording 16 points.
• The Bulldogs feature a young team this season, consisting of 11 freshman and sophomores.
• Shelby Campbell leads the team in points this season, averaging 8.7 per game.
• Krista Stricklin is the leading rebounder for Samford with an average of 5.0 rebounds per game.
• The Bulldogs have shot 39.5 percent fromt the floor this season, while opponents have 40.3 percent against them.
• Samford ranks first in the conference in 3-point field goals made, averaging 5.9 per game.
• In the last meeting between the Mountaineers and Bulldogs, Taylor Reece tallied 20 points while Stricklin recorded 16 points and the buzzer-beating shot to the win the game.
• The Mountaineers will stay in the High Country to host SoCon opponent Chattanooga on Monday, Jan. 13 at 6 p.m.