FURMAN 27, APPALACHIAN STATE 10
OCTOBER 19, 2013 • GREENVILLE, S.C. (PALADIN STADIUM)
• Appalachian State fell to 1-6 overall and 1-3 in Southern Conference play while Furman moved to 3-5 overall and 2-2 in SoCon play.
• With the loss, Appalachian State is assured of its first non-winning season since it went 4-7 in 1993, which is also the last time it started 1-6.
• Appalachian State’s four-game losing streak is also its first since 1993 (Sept. 4-25).
• Appalachian State’s five turnovers were its most since it had five turnovers in a 20-13 win over South Carolina State in the opening round of the 2009 NCAA Division I Football Championship on Nov. 28, 2009.
• 24 of Furman’s 27 points came off Appalachian State turnovers.
• Appalachian State lost to Furman for only the fourth time in 15 meetings since 2000.
• Appalachian State true freshman running back Marcus Cox rushed for 118 yards on 21 carries, good for the second 100-yard game of his career (prev. 159 yds. at Elon on Sept. 21).
• Cox has rushed for at least 79 yards in all five of starts of his career (159 at Elon, 89 vs. Charleston Southern on Sept. 28, 98 at The Citadel on Oct. 5 and 79 vs. Samford on Oct. 12).
• With seven receptions, senior wide receiver Tony Washington moved into 10th place in Appalachian State history with 113 career receptions.
• Wide receiver Simms McElfresh set a career high with 65 reception yards on a career-high-tying three catches. His 39-yard touchdown catch with 3:01 to play was his first career-touchdown catch.