BOONE, N.C. — Appalachian State University volleyball will head south to Waco, Texas this weekend for its third regular-season match hosted by Baylor University on Friday and Saturday, September 13 and 14 at the Ferrell Center.
The Mountaineers hold a 6-1 record overall after playing in the NC State Midtown Courtyard Classic last weekend. This weekend's tournament marks Appalachian's first meeting against the competition, which will include Pac 12 member Colorado on Friday at 10 a.m. followed by tournament host Baylor at 7 p.m. the same day. The Apps will wrap up tournament play against Northwestern State at 3 p.m. on Saturday. Live stats will be available for all of the matches.
A LOOK AT THE MOUNTAINEERS
• App State is 5-1 in regular-season tournament action, with its only loss coming from non-conference opponent NC State.
• The Apps have outlasted the competition in tournament action shooting .256 on the attack compared to .087 percentage from the opposition.
• The Mountaineers have also managed 11.7 kills per set to their competition's 10.2, and blocking 42.5 percent to the opponents' 18 percent average.
• Appalachian has recorded 30 or more kills in five-of-six tournament matches, while averaging better than .300 in four of those matches.
• SoCon Offensive Player of the Week, Emily Corrigan, has consistently led the Appalachian offense, tallying team-highs in kills (82) kills per set (3.57)
• The sophomore outside hitter is also responsible for 52 of the Mountaineers' digs and 91 of their points this season, recording a pair of double-doubles for her performances versus Presbyterian and Norfolk State.
• Fellow outside hitter Jess Keller has been a major contributor, currently ranking second in kills with 2.61 per set and putting up 22 blocks, with a team-high six solo blocks.
• Up front, setter Paige Brown has averaged 10.39 assists per set to lead App to a .263 hitting percentage.
• Defensively, three Mountaineers average nearly 1.00 blocks per set, with Keller picking up 0.96 per set, while Lauren Gray and Hailey Kerr add 0.87 and 0.83 apiece.
• Libero Meghan Mahoney heads the back row with 120 digs, averaging a team-high 5.22 digs per set.
SCOUTING THE BUFFALOES
• Colorado is currently 5-1 this season, with a 3-0 neutral record.
• The Buffs have rattled off five straight wins, four of which came last weekend at the Candlewood Suites Invitational in Syracuse, N.Y. where CU defeated Stony Brook, Oakland and Syracuse in three sets and Rutgers in four sets.
• Alexis Austin heads the Buffs' offense with 56 kills, followed closely by Taylor Simpson, who has 49. Both outside hitters average 3.50 kills per set.
• Junior Kelsey English holds the best hitting percentage at .406 off 32 kills and 64 attacks, while five Buffalo shoot better than .300 on the attack.
• Nicole Edelman has directed Colorado's offense, averaging 10.81 assists per set this season while helping the Buffs to a .299 attack percentage.
• On the defensive side, freshman Ceirra Simpson has notched a team-high 61 digs for 3.21 digs per set.
• Simpson is closely matched with senior outside hitter Kerra Schroeder who has 59 digs on the season, averaging 2.81 digs per set.
• At the net, senior Nikki Lindow leads the Buffs with 1.28 blocks per set.
SCOUTING THE BEARS
• Baylor is 2-6 following two weekends of action.
• Both of BU's wins came at home against SMU (25-17, 27-25, 25-22) and Mississippi State (22-25, 27-25, 25-17, 25-18) last weekend at the Baylor Classic.
• Zoe Adom leads the Bears with 3.59 kills per set with Thea Munch-Soegaard second on the team with 2.66 kills per set.
• Amy Rosenbaum, Baylor's lead setter, has recorded 9.90 assists per set this season and guided the team to .201 hitting.
• Defensively, BU is led by Mackenzie Mayo with 3.34 digs per set. Kayci Evans ranks second with 2.17 digs per set
• Adrien Richburg has posted 1.14 blocks per set for the Bears and Nicole Bardaji adds 0.86 blocks per set.
SCOUTiNG THE LADY DEMONS
• Northwestern State began its season at 1-6, with its lone win coming last weekend in a 3-0 victory over Prairie View A&M.
• Offensively, Caiti O’Connell has averaged 2.73 kills per set, while Ashley Elrod has averaged 2.59 kills per set.
• Natalie Jaeger and Emily Johnson have dished out 4.05 and 3.82 assists per set, respectively.
• The pair have split setting duties to lead the Lady Demons to a .104 hitting percentage.
• Keelie Ameson has put up 4.05 digs per set this season.
• With 0.55 blocks per set, Stacey DiFrancesco leads NSU, while Glynna Johnson adds 0.50 blocks per set.
• Appalachian returns home to host North Carolina A&T on Wed., Sept. 18 at 7 p.m. in the Holmes Center.
• On that Friday and Saturday, Sept. 20 and 21, the Mountaineers will host their second regular-season tournament with the Black & Gold Challenge at Varsity Gym, where they will welcome UT Arlington, Denver, and East Carolina.