BOONE, N.C. – Appalachian State women's basketball will host Wofford College at the Holmes Center on Saturday at 2 p.m.
The Mountaineers (15-6, 9-4 SoCon) close out a three game homestand against the Terriers (7-14, 2-11 SoCon), after completing a season sweep against Furman on Saturday with a 68-58 victory over the Paladins. Wofford travels to Boone following a 54-50 conference win over Western Carolina on Saturday.
Saturday's game will focus on Play 4Kay, a nation-wide initiative of women's basketball coaches to raise breast cancer awareness both on and off the court. In an effort to raise money for breast cancer research, admission to the game is FREE, but fans are asked to wear pink in support of the cause. For every fan who dons pink clothing, Head Coach Darcie Vincent will donate $1 to the Kay Yow Fund.
SCOUTING THE TERRIERS
• Wofford comes to Boone after grabbing a 54-50 win over Western Carolina on Saturday.
• With 11 losses in the SoCon this season, Wofford rests at the bottom of the SoCon standings, just one win ahead of UNCG.
• The Terriers have posted a 0-5 record in conference road games this season.
• Wofford scores an average of 55.5 points-per-game, while allowing opponents to grab 61.2 points.
• Morgan Wrightson and Daniella Motley lead Wofford with 12.8 and 12.6 points, respectively. Motley also pulls down 9.6 boards a game and is a two-time SoCon Player of the Week.
• Morgan Wrightson recently crossed the 1,000 point mark on February 2. She has scored 650 point in two seasons with the Terriers.
• Leading in assists for Wofford is Rachel Brittenham who’s dished out 76 this season. Brittenham broke the Wofford career assists record in the first half against Chattanooga on February 4.
• The Mountaineers (15-6, 9-4 SoCon) will play for a season-sweep of the Terriers (7-14, 211 SoCon) this season, along with their 12th straight victory against the SoCon foe.
• Appalachian State leads Wofford 24-8 in the all-time series, which began in 1985 with Appalachian’s first victory, an 83-46 final at Wofford.
• The SoCon rivals last matched up on January 14, when the Mountaineers defeated the Terriers in a thrilling 68-65 double-overtime win.
• Appalachian Head Coach Darcie Vincent has won every contest played against Wofford, since beginning her first season with the Mountaineers in 2008.
• On average, App State maintains a positive margin in rebounding (+3.2), scoring (+11.8), and turnovers (+2.9), while Wofford typically falls short against their opponents in those same categories.
• The Apps look to extend their longest unbeaten streak against Wofford, with eleven wins over the Terriers spanning from 2008 through the present.
• The Terriers’ longest handle in the series ran from 2000-2002, when Wofford notched four straight wins against the Mountaineers.
• App’s largest margin of victory came in a 37 point defeat of the Terriers on November 23, 1985.
• The Mountaineers recorded their largest point tally at 97 against Wofford twice in the series history, most recently on Dec. 21, 1998.
• Up next, the Mountaineers hit the road for the first of three remaining road games for a Western Carolina matchup in Cullowhee on Feb. 18 at 7 p.m.
• Appalachian will return to the Holmes Center to host College of Charleston in a hoops double-header on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 5:30 p.m.
• The 2013 SoCon Tournament begins on March 8 in Asheville, N.C. at the Asheville Civic Center.
• Tickets to the Southern Conference Basketball Championships can be purchased online HERE or by calling the App State Athletics Ticket Office at 800-919-2777