BOONE, N.C. – Appalachian State University women's basketball looks to extend its winning streak to six games when it travels to Southern Conference rival Chattanooga on Saturday.
The Mountaineers (12-3, 6-1 SoCon) are one of four league teams with just one loss in conference play while the Lady Mocs (15-3, 9-1) sit at the top of the SoCon standings.Appalachian is coming off a pair of wins over College of Charleston and UNCG last week while Chattanooga has also won five-straight after downing defending SoCon champion Samford on Wednesday night.
SCOUTING THE LADY MOCS
• Chattanooga enters the weekend on a five-game winning streak after picking up a 66-60 win at Samford on Wednesday.
• The Lady Mocs only conference loss of the season came in a 70-60 overtime defeat at Elon on Jan. 7.
• UTC started the season off with a bang, winning each of its first four games including a huge 80-71 upset of national power Tennessee to open the season.
• The Lady Mocs have also logged wins over Alabama, Belmont, ETSU, Jacksonville State and UAB in the non-conference schedule.
• Chattanooga should provide the Mountaineers with one of their stiffer tests of the season as the Lady Mocs rank second in the league in both scoring (69.6 ppg) and scoring defense (55.2 ppg).
• In all, UTC ranks in the top five in the SoCon in 11 different statistical categories and leads the conference in turnover margin and assist/turnover ratio.
• Nationally, the Lady Mocs rank 55th in scoring offense, 43rd in scoring defense and 23rd in scoring margin.
• Chattanooga features one of the most dangerous three-point shooters in the nation in Kayla Christopher, who ranks 13th nationally in three-point field-goal percentage (43.7 percent).
• The Lady Mocs also feature one of the top scorers in the SoCon in former Mountaineer Ashlen Dewart, who sat out last season after transferring to Chattanooga.
• Dewart ranks third in the league in scoring at 15.9 points per game and is shooting a league-best 51.5 percent from the floor.
• One area of weakness for the Lady Mocs has been at the free-throw line, where they shoot just 64.7 percent, the ninth-best mark in the SoCon.
• Appalachian State is 27-48 all-time against the Lady Mocs, but has won four of the past five meetings including a 77-52 thrashing in the semifinals of last year's SoCon Tournament.
• The Mountaineers swept the season series against UTC two years ago, breaking a string of 26-straight losses to Chattanooga from 1999-2010.
• App State's longest winning streak in the series was seven games from 1993-1997.
• The Lady Mocs posted their largest win in the series with an 89-47 victory on Jan. 27, 2001 while Appalachian's largest margin of victory came in an 88-49 win on Jan. 29, 1996.
• The Apps play head to Samford on Saturday for a rematch of last year's SoCon Championship game.
• The Mountaineers return home to face Elon on Feb. 2 before heading to Georgia Southern on Feb. 4.