BOONE, N.C. - Appalachian State University women’s basketball will fight for its seventh consecutive win over UNCG when it plays host to the team at the Holmes Center on Sunday.
The Mountaineers (11-3, 5-1 SoCon) fought their way to their fourth-straight win on Friday night in a 63-55 final against College of Charleston. UNCG (3-12, 0-5 SoCon) last fell to SoCon foe Elon on Jan. 14 in a 71-60 final.
The Apps stand undefeated at 4-0 in the Holmes Center this season. Women’s basketball has captured 11 wins at home in each of the last three seasons. Team is averaging 82.8 points-per-game at home, while pulling down 42.5 rebounds.
SCOUTING THE SPARTANS
• UNCG visits Boone following a 60-71 loss at Elon on Jan. 14.
• The Spartans hold a 3-12 record overall, and are 0-6 in SoCon play, marking Appalachian’s fourth matchup against a team with two win-or less in conference play.
• UNCG s 0-5 on the road, and 0-3, specifically, in conference road games.
• Cumulatively the Spartans shoot an average of 56.7 points per game To-date, the Catamounts have been, with an average scoring margin of -13.2. With 39.1 boards a game, UNCG is out-rebounded by an average of 5.6 by their opponents.
• App State holds a +4.4 rebounding margin compared to UNCG's -5.6.
• Top returnees for UNCG include Breonna Patterson, Natalie Headley, and Janae’ Stevenson.
• With 10.8 points-per-game, Janae’ Stevenson is one-of- two Spartans who average double-digit games. The other is Lucy Mason with 15.1 per-contest.
• Stevenson is also the leading rebounder for UNCG, averaging 7.2 boards each game.
• Marks the 57th meeting between SoCon rivals Appalachian State and UNCG.
• Appalachian State leads the series against UNCG by just one game, at 29-28.
• The Mountaineers have won six in-a-row against the Spartans.
• Appalachian’s last victory against the Spartans took place on February 11, 2011 with a 79-60 defeat at the Holmes Center.
• Under Head Coach Darcie Vincent, the Apps have won five contests against UNCGby 10+ points.
• After matching up against UNCG at home, the Apps hit the road to close out January play with games against Chattanooga on Jan. 26, followed by Samford on Jan. 28.
• App State opens up its February slate with Elon at home on Feb. 2.