For the third time in six games against NCAA Division I FCS competition this season, Appalachian State University faces a nationally ranked opponent on Saturday when it travels to No. 25 Samford. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. ET (2 p.m. CT) at Seibert Stadium in Birmingham, Ala.
Saturday's game will be broadcast live on the Appalachian IMG Sports Network. Live coverage begins at 1 p.m. ET with Pigskin Prelude. Click HERE for a full list of Appalachian IMG Sports Network affiliates or listen online at GoASU.com/live.
Live video and stats for Saturday's game are available at Samford's official athletics website, SamfordSports.com. Links to live video and stats are available at GoASU.com's Gameday Central page.
NOTING SATURDAY'S MATCHUP
• No. 13/12 Appalachian State (4-2, 2-1 SoCon) has won three-straight games after a 1-2 start.
• Samford (5-1, 3-1 SoCon), which is ranked in The Sports Network’s NCAA Division I FCS top 25 poll for the first time in 19 years, is off to its best start in 20 seasons.
• Appalachian is 5-1 all-time against Samford, including a 4-0 record versus the Bulldogs since they joined the Southern Conference in 2008. The Mountaineers have won all three previous meetings in Birmingham.
• Appalachian has not lost to Samford since a 42-35 defeat on Nov. 7, 1970.
• Appalachian State is the only Southern Conference team that Samford has not defeated in its four-plus seasons in the league.
• Saturday’s key matchup pits Appalachian’s offense, which ranks among the nation’s top 25 in scoring, rushing, passing, passing efficiency and total offense, against Samford’s defense, which is allowing just 18.8 points per game, good for 19th nationally.
• For the first time since joining the NCAA Division I ranks in 1972, Appalachian has totaled at least 400 yards of offense in each of its first six games this season. The Mountaineers rank eighth nationally in total offense at 472.8 yards per game.
• For the second time this season, Appalachian quarterback Jamal Jackson earned SoCon and national player-of-the-week recognition for his performance in last Saturday’s 35-23 win over Elon. Jackson set career highs with 398 yards of total offense, 94 rushing yards, four touchdown passes and five touchdowns accounted for in the triumph.
• Samford counters Jackson with its own two-time SoCon Player of the Week in safety Jaquiski Tartt. Tartt was honored as the league’s top defensive player for the second time this season after returning an interception for a touchdown in last week’s 38-7 win over No. 19 The Citadel.
• Jackson and Tartt were the SoCon’s Offensive and Defensive Players of the Month in September.
• Appalachian has won 49 of its last 56 Southern Conference games, including a gaudy 34-1 mark against teams outside of the perennial conference-title-contending trio of Furman, Georgia Southern and Wofford.
For all of the information on Saturday's matchup, including links to live video, audio and stats, both teams' rosters, depth charts, game notes and much more, click HERE to visit GoASU.com's official Gameday Central page.