DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Following the Mountaineers victory over Jacksonville on Tuesday, Appalachian State University men's tennis swept Bethune-Cookman, 7-0, in nonconference action on Friday. The Mountaineers (6-4, 0-1 SoCon) earned their first shutout of the season, while Bethune-Cookman (8-10) has lost five straight.
Mountaineers Steve Karendal and Zeke Sansing scored the biggest win in doubles, scoring an 8-2 victory at No. 3. Seniors Alex Markov and Alain Humblet followed with an 8-4 margin at No. 2, while senior Philip Kloc and sophomore Sebastien King tacked on an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles for the easy doubles point.
Appalachian's top singles player,won his first set with relative ease, 6-3, before needing an extra game to close the second set, 7-5.
Kloc also had a two-set victory, needing a tiebreaker in the latter for a 6-4, 7-6 win at No. 2, while Humblet managed to find an edge in both sets at No. 3, 7-5, 6-4.
King took his first set 6-4 before faltering in the second. He collected himself for the supertiebreaker and won the No. 4 match, 6-4, 0-6, 1-0(10-7).
Appalachian State returns to North Carolina for its next match, a 2:30 p.m. showdown against Charlotte on Wednesday, March 21.
March 16, 2012
Appalachian State 7, Bethune-Cookman 0
Daytona Beach, Fla.
1. Alex Markov (ASU) def. MISANOVIC, Marc (B-CU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Philip Kloc (ASU) def. KIBET, Gilbert (B-CU) 6-4, 7-6
3. Alain Humblet (ASU) def. GARVITO, Diego (B-CU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Sebastien King (ASU) def. LOBELO, Santiago (B-CU) 6-4, 0-6, 1-0(10-7)
5. Andrew McKinnon (ASU) def. JACKSON, Kip (B-CU) 7-6, 6-2
6. Matt Saltsgaver (ASU) def. BELUCCI, Vitor (B-CU) 6-0, 6-4
1. Kloc / King (ASU) def. MISANOVIC / JACKSON (B-CU), 8-6
2. Markov / Humblet (ASU) def. GARVITO / VASSILIEV, Artem (B-CU), 8-4
3. Steve Karendal / Zeke Sansing (ASU) def. BELUCCI / KIBET (B-CU), 8-2